Tuesday, February 13, 2007

more special makeover tips for the frugal mama

















So whats a time challenged flat broke Mama suppossed to do to look and feel KEWL? Try some of these cheapie tricks of mine and soon you will be the one who is as righteous on the outside as you feel on the inside!

Buy 2 or 3 essential oils that you love. I use patchouli, orange, dewberry and lavender on a regular basis. If I had my wish, I would also have rose, bergamot, tangerine and peppermint in my home.

These are now your perfume! You can mix them into cheap unscented lotion for body lotion. You can drop them in your bath. You can drop them onto your bed. You can shake them onto little cotton things and put them in the dryer. Now you are yummy and cool.















Wash your face with Neutrogena. It is under 3 bucks and the best stuff there is.

Scrub your face with the best scrub you can afford, and use a tiny bit of it. If you cant do a scrub, wash your face with a washcloth and the Neutrogena bar and dont be afraid to really scrub!

Save up your dollars until you have 20 of them. Do not hesitate one second while you plunk them all down for Origins' Charcoal mask. The stuff it sucks out of your face is worth it, and it lasts for a LONG time.




Cut your own hair
Color your own hair.

Does your hair make you look SUPER CHEERFUL? Do you look in the mirror and feel waaaay different inside than you look on the outside? I lived most of my life this way, but now I am free! Get a hairdo that is HAPPY AND FANTASTIC to you, despite what is in style with the freaks who you hate anyhow.
Get a hairdo that you think someone who would be extremely intriguing to you would have! There! Now the intriguing one is YOU!

If exercise makes you feel great and strong, then make time for it! Like you make time for blogging or watching survivor, make time for exercise IF YOU LIKE IT.

If eating healthy makes you feel great and strong, then take a few minutes and learn how to make a few nice things. Eat some fresh fruits and veggies everyday and you will be on the way to health! Apples are super cheap and so are carrots!

As far as body image stuff, just get some clothes that fit you right now. Dont suck, stuff, smash or hurt yourself. Dont wear giant baggies just to hide. You have a size that fits you nicely, so if it is 4 or 44, it is ok! Start with a pair of jeans. Try www.zafu.com to find a pair that will be cool for you. Mine were 19.99 Levis so it isnt too expensive.

If you are broke, I understand. Try to come up with een one or two shirts a month, just plain basic stuff under 15 bucks. Old Navy and Target are cool enough to not feel like some mutt and plain enough that no one will notice if you wear them ALL the time.

When you can afford to, try to work in a few special pieces. Mine was my magic skirt from www.muddypeople.com from christmas. I wear it twice a week, or so, and thats fine by me! then I can be that one girl with the hippie skirt!

If you do find a key pice that rocks your world then try to get another one when you can. This goes for shoes, too. Be that Mama who has 4 colors of ____. Now you are on your way to a LOOK!

Hilarious cheap sunglasses rule. Get a pair and rock em.

Wet n Wild makes the best lipliner...99 cents...mix it with chapstick and now you look like you have nice lipstick on.

I would not use cheapo foundation. If you wear this, spend as much as u can or just skip it and rub a little bronzer (bonne bell 4 bucks) into your lotion.

2 dolar eyelash curler
Maybelline Great Lash (3 bucks)
now you have fabulous cat eyes!

Citre shine shine spray--the original and best. Now your fried and dyed hair looks shiny ; )

But some lame headbands and cover them with fantastical fabrics. You could hot glue them or just regular glue.

When your baby was up all night for the last 9 years and you havent eaten a whole food in weeks...when coffee is all you drink, there is no hope of a shower today, and all your cool clothes are in the hamper smashed under the spaghetti, juice, poo, and pee things from the little darlings....try this ray of hope:

Spread Noxema (that old minty wierd white stuff) all over your face. Leave it on.
Put on a new outfit, undies, socks, the whole thing. Put on new perfume. Brush your hair and try to scrape it into little pigtails or some kind of barrette or hat. Wash off the Noxema. Brush your teeth. Stretch high high high into the sky. Stretch down down down to your toes. Put on actual shoes. Take a B vitamin and turn on your favorite music.

Now you are ready for more coffee and nursing on the couch! But now you feel like a real live Kewl-Mama!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

so, maybe I could write a blog on how to look great for a ridiculous amount of money, just to contrast with yours adn show how silly it is to spend soo much money on some things. I should just inventory my toiletries and you would die laughing.

Housefairy said...

naw...I used to buy all that nice stuff, too. I know what it costs...

I wish i had more for perfume, shoes, and superfood/herbs and tinctures.

And undies.

sneakmastergeneral said...

I wish I was cool...I wear double X promo shirts and cheapo pajama pants all day every day. I don't even bother with socks...like ever. I am a frumpasaurus.

Housefairy said...

You JUST had a baby. I didnt even make it over to the computer when I just had a baby!

My newborn is comin' up on 1 and a 1/2...and so I am crawling out of my pajama'ed cave for the 4th time and pretending to be a babe by sometimes showering and wearing 3 dollar patchouli and mens jeans ; )

You are super cool, Mama!