Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Wassup tonight


Hey there! I feel like so many people are not blogging lately-- "holidays" perhaps? I don't know. I have blue hair now and I adore it. the green was kool but this is me fave of all time. I feel like this is what I look like. I used Manic Panic After Midnight Blue. The places in my hair that were nice and damaged took the blue like a sponge-- like the most brilliant indigo, and the healthy newer parts of my hair hardly took the color at all.
Work is still cool, after a little pouting attack on my part last week that "they" were picking on me in the form of new checklists and repeated sticky notes everywhere reminding "us" of the most obvious of our tasks, I had a small paranoid/defensive freak out but I am over it. At 12:15am I am actually kinda grateful for a checklist of all the things we are supposed to do before we can officially close the bar, so I am fine with it now. The customers still love me and tell me the greatest stories! Tales of drunken escapades, curling stories, stuff about their jobs and their grandmothers and their children and The Olden Days. I can't get enough. My face hurts from smiling, and I wonder if they know how genuinely I am enjoying their sharing these things with me. Braggadocios stories of golfing, fishing, bowling, curling and hunting prowess. Embarrassing stuff, personal stuff, wild stuff. Why does the bartender always end up being the shrink? Hey now Grandma can't keep saying I didnt use my degree, heh heh. I listen to peoples problems, I nod and laugh and shake my head at the appropriate times, I care, I worry, I give gentle advice when prodded to, and I remember a good deal of it next time we meet. They tell me thanks for listening, I feel so much better, you really helped me....how is that not psychology? Oh, I know, I don't wear pantyhose, sit in an office, or have to put my children in cindercare for 80% of my income.
Well thats my little contribution to the Everything Joy blog tonight. it is Tuesday and so me and Steve have been having an All American Classic Evening of eating dinner at the actual dining room table with our kids, folding and distributing laundry mountain, reading bedtime stories to one kid while assisting in the teeth brushing of another kid, hanging visquine plastic stuff on our windows with the blowdryer to keep out the drafts, trying to download anything by the incredible band Slumber Party on SoulSeek and being mortified that noone has anything by these guys, laying out little outfits for the kids tomorrow, semi cleaning the kitchen, checking on fantasy football guys online, taking showers, sweeping up Christmas tree needles, and getting ready to watch Heroes and make a little fire in the fireplace while hanging out with Kitty.
I CANNOT believe this is what we used to do 7 nights a week. I am happy for my job but so excited for it to be over, too. Unlike so many couples, we love this and need this, and it has been creepy and sad to not have it. Our household has suffered from the complete cessation of this second part of the day, but hey. We will get used to it, but there is definitely a need for 2 adults here to keep it all going.

4 comments:

Kelley said...

I LOVE YOUR BLUE HAIR!!!! You are right; this IS you. Yeah!

It's good to hear what you've been up to. I just haven't gotten around to blogging lately. Instead I've been reading "Born in the USA" by Marsden Wagner. I had no idea things were so bad in our country. I got really angry during the Cytotec chapter. What in the world possessed my midwife to use that?

Anyway, I hope you are doing well. I'll update soon.

:)

Rixa said...

Ah, it's back to blue again! I wish I had your listening/giving helpful and gentle advice skills somewhere close to me!

Yes, Born in the USA is a strong read. I think a lot of people might disagree with his final chapters about how to make changes--he strongly advocates a more socialized medical system (which I agree with in a lot of ways) and pretty much mandatory out-of-hospital birth for healthy women (which as much as I like OOH birth, I am not sure if I like making it "the" choice). Anyway it's been a while since I read it so I will happily hear your thoughts on it once you're done.

Dr. Wagner is one of the main voices speaking out against the use of Cytotec today. He's served as an expert consultant in many legal cases involving Cytotec.

Anonymous said...

Blue is good too...but I gotta say, I really liked you in green :)

Wedgehead said...

You are so cute!