Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I will be a running girl someday soon.


You know, my body feels like it is falling apart. I used to be a sports girl, a sports star, even, in a few of my seasons. I played Field Hockey, Volleyball, Soccer, Basketball and Swimming every semester except one, from 6th grade until 12th grade graduation.


Then, at 17, I went to college. You ever hearda the freshman fifteen? I gained about three of those. I went from Mommy's home, and her normal meals, and being a athlete, a decent one, too--to the Krazy world of my own dorm room, and nachos and beer and pop and pizza and beer and pop and nachos and beer and pop and....oh whoops I just wrote out my whole menu plan from college. Running? No way, I laid in bed, read books, ate my treats. Went to classes, got back in bed, watched some TV.


I am kidding, sort of. I actually was not some big drunk. I still bought groceries from the grocery store, and who knows what I bought. I know alot of nachos and nacho supplies and nacho accoutrements were involved, that's for damn sure.


Then I moved in with Steve when I was 20, and we chowed merrily.

Then I had a baby at 22 and gained 55 pounds. (Lost 30)


blablabla

So what I am getting at is not some self hate thing, but a genuine concern for my poor old bod. I want to walk, hell, I want to RUN again! I want to hold my skeleton up with its own musculature--can't even remember that feeling. I want to stretch and strengthen, and I want to feel firmly planted on this Earth, not tipping, leaning, tottering, teetering, tight, mincing steps, burning backaches, etc.


I would like to become a runner.

There is alot of symbolism in this for me, as I am doing some personal training mentally for some stuff that I would like to see happen in my life over the next year or two. But the idea of becoming a runner, like my first midwife was, always has been at the back of my mind.


My husband is my biggest inspiration. He is getting so in shape it is kind of making me feel weird. If he can do it, the last person on Earth can. No offense to him, on the contrary, he is living proof that complete piglets and couch potatoes can totally transform their body shape by exercising less than 60 minutes a day. He eats more than ten freshmen, I promise. He had to get all new jeans this weekend, and new shirts, too. He looks so cute I want to fold him up and put him in my purse and set him on the dashboard of my minivan when I am driving. All he did was ride his bike 2 miles, four times a day.,then he started doing push ups and some crunches.


So, I think I am going to wait until the mercury goes below 80 and start walking. Fast. By myself or with the stroller and Charlie. I just can't stand feeling like a bag of jello anymore. Its kind of scary and powerless to feel this floppy and brittle. If I end up looking hot then hallelujah. But I really, really do not care. As you well know, I enjoy happy hairdos and funky shoes, and definitely have no money for new clothes.


This is about something totally different. Power.

8 comments:

Kelley said...

I totally understand. It was so incredible to train for that marathon because I felt better about myself than I had in years. I'm not one to get all wrapped around the axle if I gain a few pounds. However, I had gained more than just a few pounds, and it was not coming off.

There is a side-effect to losing weight, though, and that is that you have to buy new clothes. This is both a nice thing and an "Oh, man, I hate this" thing, especially if your budget doesn't allow going out and buying a whole new wardrobe, even if you really, really need one.

Maybe we should get in shape together. There's no need for me to hang around the house getting fat again, even if I do get pregnant. Fat and pregnant do not necessarily have to be the same thing. (I hope.)

Housefairy said...

Well, when I heard you and Rixa did marathons, I was like "WHAT????" and realized that there is a real meaning for me to do this.

I do want to get in shape together--but no before pictures--haha--only afters.

I will post to my Everything Joy blog all of my exercise. Starting today--even though it is raining :)

I feel at peace with this, not all anxious, or like I said, self hating. Those plans never work out. This one is all about posivity, strength, and commitment.

Rixa said...

Now don't get me wrong, I am just STARTING the process of training! I have decided to aim for a half marathon because a) it takes soooo long to do those long 20+ miles runs and b) you have a lot more chances of injuries once you start doing really long runs.

I've really liked the book that Kelley recommended, because it focuses a lot on the mental process of athletic training and you only run 4x/week. And you only do one long run per week. The rest of the time it's usually 3 or 4 miles.

It's amazing how motivated I feel this time around. And it really came from realizing that it was exactly the same process that I went through preparing to give birth. The biggest thing is that you have to want to do it.

If you post your daily exercise, I'll post mine! Today I was going to do 4 miles but my dog injured his foot and refused to go any farther so I think it was more like 3. He limped the whole way home, poor thing. So I'll try to do a longer one tomorrow (supposed to be 3 so I'll aim for 4).

I don't actually know for sure how many miles I'm running; I just guesstimate based on how many minutes I've run. I figure I am jogging 10-12 minute miles. My fastest timed mile is 8 minutes (I am really not a fast runner, but I can do endurance running) so I figured my normal pace is a few minutes slower.

Kelley said...

Wait! I have a disclaimer, too. I TRAINED for a marathon. I didn't end up running it because of injuries. That, and I didn't do the mental training part very well, which is as important, if not more so, than the running part. Next time I will remedy that.

I think I will shoot for a half-marathon next to build my confidence. 26.2 miles is a very long way, but 13.1 seems much more do-able right now, especially since I'm starting from scratch right now. I haven't run seriously in 3 1/2 years, since just after I got pregnant with Ben. I intend to work up slowly, and hopefully prevent the injury that knocked me out of the marathon in the first place. I made it to 16 miles, but got injured on that last mile. It was a stress fracture in my lower leg, and I couldn't take anything for it because I was already pregnant.

I must say that training for a marathon is a fantastic way to train for pregnancy and birth. I felt so terrific during that pregnancy, and I attribute it to the fact that I was in some seriously good shape. :) I'd better get crackin' if I'm going to do that this time around.

mamalove said...

You go, Mama! My advice to you is up your miles SLOWLY. I broke my foot training for a marathon and it was because I increased my miles super fast. Once this babe is out I plan on walking/jogging but will listen to my body more. Please post your workouts!

Rixa said...

So far I really like the program I'm using. It first has you get used to running in general, if you've been out of commission for a while. (I skipped that part since I could already run 3 miles without stopping). Then you start by doing the 3-4-3 miles during the week, and a long run on the weekend (starting at 5 miles). Each week you increase the long run by one mile, which makes it quite doable.

Housefairy said...

I am so excited for all this encouragement!

I have not run in years. YEARS.

but, today, I walked, fast, about a mile. :)

official post later today....:)

Rixa said...

Today (Thursday) I ran with Zari in the jogging stroller for 3 miles. Weather was fantastic: clear, crisp, dry, and cool in the shade.

Should I post my daily exercise on my blog? On your comments section? I saw Kelley has started posting hers...or maybe we could create a group exercise blog. Well that sounds like too much work though!