Thursday, January 25, 2007

Ugg!



I get it now, the whole deal with people who love WOOL.

To me, before the boots, wool was something sort of itchy and expensive and nice looking. Me and the family went to a "wool festival"a few years back which confirmed what I thought, that wool is lovely and expensive, a true old fashioned wonderful sort of a thing, with afficianados in the parenting world in the way of wool diaper covers and wool for warmth, wool fleeces to lay babies on, and wool in the world of nature-buffs in the way that it is a natural fiber, they dont kill the animals, many small family farms can sustain themselves on wool raising, it lasts forever, stuff like that.
But this past weekend, I really get it now with the wool thing. You see, I got a pair of boots from a thrift store that were brand new, unworn, wool-lined, ugly as all get out, but I am in love! Love, I tell you! They are definately suppossed to be fake Uggs, if you know about Uggs. But instead of being that light beige color that the cool Uggs from 3 (4?) years ago were, these are like a warm carmely color. Uggs are about 100 dollars and people say they are the most comfortable thing they ever wore. I read the tabloids, yessiree, I go to the long line on purpose at Kroger just to catch up, Im not ashamed--and I read all about the celebs saying that you wear them (Uggs) barefoot, as wool has all these natural properties that prevent ANY bacterial growth---no stinky feet, no sweaty feet! The trend started when folks wore them on the slopes of Aspen or what have you (well not ON the slopes, but probably in the chalet haha) and then it was just cool to wear them. Huge things, almost moon-boots. Ghastly. Comfy. I knew I wanted some in a way, but too much money. Now Uggs has all sorts of other popular styles beyond that big beige moon boot, but who cares, they are too expensive.

I ramble. Back to my fake Uggs. They have no brand on them anywhere. I dont know what propelled me to slip them on in the thrift store. But when I did, POOF! Huh? This is a legitamate shoe? This feels like some insane slipper with a big Garfield head on it from like 6th grade christmas! I think I need these! But they are so hideous! I look like....a cowboy? A Rodeo person? Napoleon? Well all I know is POOF felt soooo good---So I bought them, becasue I need boots, mostly. I havent owned a pair of boots since before I was married, and the few times I have to walk in deep snow I have just worn shoes and gotten over it! Rediculous, right?

Once I got home, I did the barefoot thing. My foot started to get warm, warmer, hot! But not sweaty! Warm dry heat--it is so crazy. They do not smell! I wear them all day now, I put them on at 7am and take them off at 10 pm or later! Fresh and soft and I am HOOKED. I want wool socks wool tights wool blankets and wool underwear. I want a wool hat and wool mittens! I want wool flip-flops (they make them! very dorm room looking but hey I dig that)



Wool is cool in my book.

1 comment:

Preppy Coastee said...

I'm jealous! It sucks you can't find a brand on it!!