Thursday, August 23, 2007

8-23-96



ELEVEN years ago today, I was walking down the aisle!

I loved my wedding day, not only for the major fact that I was marrying the coolest boy on Earth, but for how we made the whole thing happen on so little money and how such personal and cool stuff was involved!

I made my veil out of tulle and a white comb and glue.

I wore white slippers. Yes actual slippers. They looked like ballet shoes and didnt show anyhow.

I invented a hairdo that I got alot of compliemts on. It involved rolling my hair up into curls and then pinning them that way. It made myhair look alot longer than it was! The back was a french twist that was pretty sketchy, but under the veil, who can tell?

We got our flowers from a nursery out in the country. Big Gerbera daisies, white and yellow.

One of our gifts was our cake.

The "photographer" was just a friend from my work with her regular camera. The pictures turned out SO awesome!

The "DJ" was Steve's cousin with a stack of our CD's with little sticky notes on the covers of which tracks to play. Although we did not think this was hilarious whatsoever, I do laugh warmly at just how much Sonic Youth and R.E.M. was involved.

We dined to an instrumental Beastie Boys album; The In Sound From Way Out. It was fantastic, and so was the mostaccioli we had feared would be tacky or bland.

I did my own makeup and nails. The last thing I needed on my wedding day was some freaky make up job! I knew from my own disatrous graduation pics that Big Days are NOT the time to try new looks! Shudder...

We got married in a historical Farmhouse with significant meaning to us.

My grandma played the piano for the ceremony.

Steve and I practiced our kiss so it wasn't a harsh peck or a make out :)

We were wedded by a local radio celebrity that Steve's brother knew from going to blues bars. He was awesome, and really gave a great speech!

I got a bee up my dress after the ceremony, during the hot outdoor picture taking time! Luckily he didnt sting me! I felt all old-school and squealy, lifting up all those layers of tulle and having girls helping me as I shrieked help! help! LOL

We didn't want or need a limo, so we had Steve's brother drive us in his very swanky Cadillac to the reception nearby!

We had fish Christmas lights on our head table as a swag. For the life of me, I do not remember how this fish thing got started, but we had swedish fish as a treat on the guest tables, along with fish and under the sea themed confetti! So silly.

Our wedding guests were a very divided crew. There were the fancy dressed up adult family members, and this small hodge podge crew of our friends. The pictures are adorable and hilarious, with the little punk crew and their fish nets and black lipstick and bobby socks and ironic bow ties and converse on, most of them not even 21, drinking and smoking and doing goofy cafeteria-esque things with the items on their table, like making little fork and salt "sculptures", waiting patiently through the mainstream music we had to include for the next fun song to come on! Even our best man wore his black ADIDAS, (love ya Jake!!!!) and crazed sunglasses. It was so great.

I was in fact, just 21, but was incredibly shy about drinking in front of the moms! hahaha!

The bartender must have thought I was quite the little lush, because I woiuld go up, ask for a gin and tonic, and then some great song would come on, and I would leave my drink somewhere, and never have gotten one sip! So I would go back for another one, and the same thing happened again and again! I in fact, did not even ingest one full drink that night. Busy bee!

Ours was the first wedding I had ever been to that everyone stayed at until the end! until it was closed! finis! goodbye! midnight! Thats how fun it was, even to the random aunties and such. Too, too cool.

Our honey moon was fun, too I will write about it next!

4 comments:

Kelley said...

It doesn't surprise me that your wedding was such a blast. It sounds like it fit you perfectly. Congratulations on 11 years of marriage. That is quite an accomplishment these days. I hope you have a great day!

killyridols said...

Ah what a night that was! We really did have a blast. I was simply awe struck to be there being wed to the girl of dreams. And, to have the ceremony performed by a bluesman, a rootsy bluesman. Awesome, simply awesome. I love you more, and more every day that I spend with you. And you inspire greatness in me that I know one day with the help of your strength I will acheive. Happy anniversary, I couldn't have chose a better bride. You are very very special.

Trish said...

Happy anniversary!!

Sounds like an awesome wedding!

Housefairy said...

Thank you Kelley, Trish, and my sweet Steven!