Monday, April 21, 2008

A whole lot to be thankful for

I dont know where to post anything lately, which blog to put what on anymore,but just wanted to give a cheer for spring and for new beginnings, since I have devoted so very much time to griping about winter and sickness and confusions and such!

My husband brought me home roses tonight, on his bike, no less, and the whole family is now outside barbecuing on a nice old time charcoal grill. the smell is so good, music is spilling forth from out (finally!) converted backroom that is now a true "gym/playroom" for the kids, complete with slide and baby pool filled with plastic balls, etc. too fun!

My mom and sister took me out to dinner last night for my birthday, and we had a wonderful time!

We moved our birdfeeder right out front and the wonderful birds that have been coming have entertained us all, all day--Cardinals sparrows pigeons starlings cowbirds bluejays goldfinches grackles mourning doves and a downy woodpecker--so awesome! We worried that being right by the kids and so close to the house would make them scared but they still came, all day, and squirrels, too! This weekend we even had a pair of Mallard ducks, really wacky because we live in a suburb/urban area, right off a busy road, no lakes super nearby...but there they were, waddling around people's yards...so funny!

My pink hair washed out in ONE SHAMPOO, so I colored it brown. It is the only color (besides green, haha) that EVER stays in very well. It looks cool with the little bob/bangs and I guess it was the blond that was really buggin me. I might have to buy some of those little fun color strips and just take a break from the hairdying--I wish I knew the secret to this stuff, but in the meantime, I have to wash my hair so I have to be realistic : ( Maybe someday I will have dreadlocks and then they can be left colored and not washed!

It is a nice day and there is so much pettiness that can bring people down, but also so much beauty and simple goodness. the other night Mickey said at dinner how happy he was that he had arms and legs (!!) and I thought about the sincerity of a 7 year old just bursting out with that, and it lead to a wonderful conversation --not against quadriplegics, mind you-- but about how beyond blessed we all are just to not be dodging bombs, eating food at all, safe from the elements, alive period. good stuff.

There is a Woody Guthrie song that, from the first time I ever heard it, I had always intended on it being what I awoke to each morning. Some people might think it is "sad", but the message just jolts me with a really sensational and --I am at a loss for words--right and good feeling, and I think I am going to figure out a way to play it every morning for real. Coffee music, in my eternal quest to wake up before the kids and be a real live upright Mom....somedays it works, somedays well Charlie just wakes up too darn early! But anyways the song is called Dust Can't Kill Me and it is perfect. I will figure out how to embed songs into the blog and come back and pop it in here but for now, go check it out yourself, it rocks my world.

Also, my work decided to finally pay me and so all is well with our bank account, a lovely thing.

5 comments:

Kelley said...

Too bad about the pink hair. I think it looked awesome. I'd really like to dye mine red some day, but it is so short right now that all the color would be out in one or two haircuts. Seems like a ridiculous waste of money to me. Oh well, at least I get to enjoy your cute hair. :)

Jennifer said...

I liked the hair color too. It would be very hard to replicate again. I'm terrible at coloring my hair. It never comes out how I want it, unless I dye it black. And I haven't done that for 15 years!

I just figured out how to link music on my blog. It was really easy and I didn't even have to so much as register on the site. I went to deezer.com and their is a link for blogs in the far right corner. Although, they didn't have a lot of songs that I wanted.

Beth said...

Mickey<3

Ok, so on the hair tip...
I was browsing "wonderful products of 2008" and came upon this ColorOops stuff.
And then found Splat.
This is not a secret hint about what you should or should not do with your hair - you always look cute no matter what you do to it. I have no idea whether these products do what they say or how much $ they cost, etc. Just interesting that I saw this stuff and read your post on the same night.

Unknown said...

Wow, Bethy thank you!!!

I have never heard of this stuff and am really grateful for the links!

Missy said...

I stumbled across your blogs sometime last summer while I was pregnant with my 1st child, and have enjoyed checking in ever since! I had to write about your mention of making a playlist for the blog: I'm using playlist.com which is very easy, free and user-friendly. Seriously, it would make my day to hear what is playing in your ultra-cool head while reading your posts! Thanks for always giving me something to think about Joy!