Monday, April 14, 2008

Pink is the new green


Oh, beloved HAIR, how long has it been since I have not discussed this very fab-u-lous subject? (air snaps) Too long.

I have been a fine and upstanding ashy-blonde laydee bob for a few months now, and well, it SUCKED! I felt like most folks would feel if their hair was pink--haha--only guessing here--but-slightly ashamed and embarrassed to be seen by folks we admire, looking like that? SO not me, such a weirdo statement, I really could barely look in the mirror it was getting all brassy and Mrs Bradyish... Eww eww eww. Plus the chick that cut my hair last time did not listen to me at all, big shock, so I am being so so serious when I proclaim that this DIY stuff is truly meant to be for me. So much creativity in my life has come out of feeling forced to do stuff myself--and I hope that down the line my dreams of creating clothing and films and a band or three will follow this same vein. Dissatisfsction with what is currently available, and inventing what I need for myself! Like recipes and fun hairdos right now, and down the line, who knows?

So the other night I meandered over to the Manic Panic website again, and started to look longingly at the rainbow-haired people, how awesome and happy they all looked! I freaked out and cut my hair in the bathroom and slapped all of Greta's hot pink semi-permanent color all over my newly cut hair, showered, cleaned the whole mess up, got dressed and came back to the family anew! They were loving it, and even though the pink isn't very bright at all, MAN do I feel better! Phew! I looked about 50 years old and it stunk. Bla. I shaved off the weird neck flap and cut the bangs that took me 7 months to grow out. SNIP! just like that...I love it. I am not trying to look like a kid, but looking like a granny dog isnt exactly what I was cool with, either. I feel cheerful and true to self now.

There are only a couple of people who hate when I have fun colored hair, and BOY do they hate it. I mean , H-A-T-E--but what can I say? They are in the vast minority, I rarely, rarely see them, and everysingle other person I ever meet, all of my friends, all of my kids, strangers, hairdressers, fashion-fun people, always tell me they like it...plus, the only person who I mega-seriously care about their opinion of how I look, my husband, LOVES it! So fooey. Anyone who actually gets morally worked up about this kind of stuff anyhow, probably needs to r-e-l-a-x and grab a jar of perspective, KWIM? I am sure they do their own things everyday to look and feel the way they want to, and this is what I do : )

I have always been under the impression that any haircolors under the pink/red spectrum are all wrong for me, but I must say that I am pleasantly surprised with how neutral this pink actually is. Given the fact that I have NO pink clothes whatsoever, the old worries about my head matching my clothes too much is no problem. I think I will stick with this for a while, maybe go brighter sometime soon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You re so cute, I would love to do punk colors but I don't think I could pull it off. I love it, though, way to go who ever thinks it looks bad is stupid, plus you are happy so who cares, right?
Sarah in WA

Rixa said...

Ooh, hot pink definitely suits you well! I was wondering how long you'd be a blonde. I love it. I'm one of those people who admires funky hair colors from afar because I don't have the guts to do anything to mine except for teeny tiny subtle highlights. Because if I do something I'll have it FOREVER and WHAT IF I DON'T LIKE IT and WHAT IF MY ROOTS START SHOWING and lots more of those thoughts run through my head.

Kelley said...

Add me to your list of friends who think you look fabulous. Pink is definitely YOU! :)

Housefairy said...

Thanks everyone!!

Rixa, it is so funny because I am so panicky about other things--if I get a headache, I think WHAT IF THIS IS MY NEW LIFE OF PAIN FOREVER? or if I get a zit I am like GREAT I HAVE THIS THING ON MY FACE ETERNALLY and so on...but for some reason hair I am really casual about, even though I have been through some semi-disasters. Go figure! But the pink is fun and Im glad you guys like it : )

La Sirena said...

I love the new color and the cut is awesome. The bangs are so cute. I know what a new hair adventure can do to a girl's spirit. So much fun! Yippy!!