Tuesday, June 5, 2007

what is everyone thinking?!


I am in pregnant-lady-alert-overdrive! And it is all due to this hideously unflattering new fad that has been cruelly unleashed on women:


These "baby-doll" tops with the empire waists look exactly like, no, they are, maternity tops. Everyone who is skinny and wearing them, guess what--you look pregnant. Everyone who is heavy and is wearing them, guess what--you really, seriously look pregnant. And to all the mamas who think this is a forgiving and flattering style because it isnt clingy, or because it is long/offers "coverage"---you really, really, really look pregnant. And to top it off, it is in style to have flip-flops and capris---the absolute hallmarks of late pregnancy when you cannot get your foot into a shoe anymore and your thighs are so deathly wrong that you had better cover them things up. Trust me, girls, I have done this four times.


I don't have to tell anyone that I love pregnant women and I think they are beautiful. I also love the idea of cropped and tight shirts coming out of favor, as I am 73 inches tall with a stomach that will never, EVER see the light of day so long as I live---BUT--well, I guess I already explained how I feel about this whole thing...why not long and NOT empire waist? Blousy, billowing fabric starting right under the boobs? I can't believe it, I can't I tell you.


Whats funny and ironic is how I spent four long pregnancies looking, searching the malls stores boutiques and the 'net for one--ONE top long enough or flowy enough to cover my pregnant belly and the weird panel on my maternity pants. It did not exist and I suffered mostly in overalls, even in the heat. Ask steve how many gallons of tears I would cry about this whole thing. Many, is what he will tell you, many. Now this garment is at every single store in the mall, and at regular prices, forget "Tall Maternity"!!!


Sheesh.


I probably sound like Bill Cosby telling kids to pull their damn jeans up or something. But I don't care. Every girl on Earth looks pregnant now, and I am going to get in a car accident looking at them all.

5 comments:

Wedgehead said...

preggy girls are so damn sexy, though

Housefairy said...

...when they are actually pregnant!

I feel a bit bad about this entry, but I have a bit of a history of irritation with certain trends. You think I would be happy to see anything in the form of long shirts be in style, this one just is so wierd, but I am certain that it is just me being overly sensitive to the Maternity Look of it all.

Barbnocity said...

Ha ha ha...oh, man...jd and I were complaining about these tops everywhere, too!! Yes, everyone looks pregnant out there!! Why would anyone where something that makes your stomach look, well, pregnant???

Unknown said...

Thank you, Barb (and JD!)
When noone responded I felt like I was some kind of meanie--or--everyone thought I was just out of style. But I stand my ground, I cant stoamch (haha) these shirts, they are EVERYWHERE!!!!! It is the wierdest thing that has happened in fashion in quite a while.

Lee said...

Oh my gosh, you are so right! I have caught myself STARING at a couple of women wearing those tops, trying to decide if they were pregnant or not. Heh.